Thursday, February 25, 2010

Shrimp and Grits

So far my famous dinner is "Shrimp and Grits".  It is fairly simple, so I will share how I do it.

I buy a bag of the small sized shrimp that is cooked and deveined at Target.  It is in the refrigerated meat section.

While the grits are cooking I saute on low heat the shrimp in a little minced garlic and lime juice. (Both store bought and prepared, you know the little jar of minced garlic, and the little lime juice thing).  I usually just let it sit and stir it every few minutes, just so that it heats up so that it isn't cold, and the garlic and lime give it a little flavor.

Cheese Grits

1 cup grits
1 tsp. salt
5 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cup sharp cheese, grated
1 stick butter
4 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. Lea & Perrin

Mix the grits, salt, and water.  Cook over slow heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat.  Add cheese and butter, stir in well beaten eggs.  Add seasonings and Lea & Perrin.  Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. (I sometimes cook it longer until it is firm) It may be prepared a day ahead and baked at the last minute.  Serves 6-8.

Serve with chopped up bacon, chopped tomatoes, and extra cheese.

This has been a crowd pleaser!  The grits recipe was my grandmothers.

Enjoy the weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers