Thursday, March 4, 2010

Recipe Friday - Cake Icing

Shout out to my #1 blog follower, LAURA.  Saturday is her birthday so in honor of her I am going to share some cake frosting recipes I have! Happy Birthday LO!

We are receiving a new dishwasher today! I am super pumped.  I will show before and after pics and share the wonders of this new one next week.

 (Update on my grandmother: she has to have a tumor biopsied in a week and a half, we will know more then.  )

Now onto the icing:

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

3 Cups Confectioners' Sugar
1 Cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 Tablespoons whipping cream

In a standing mixer, mix together sugar and butter.  Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.  Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.

(I don't have a standing mixer yet, so I use my regular beaters.  I just place the bowl in the sink and make it 1/2 at a time so it doesn't go everywhere!)


Chocolate Frosting

6 Tablespoons butter, softened
1/3 to 1/2 Cup cocoa powder
2 2/3 Cups powdered sugar
1/3 Cup Milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream butter, add cocoa and sugar alternately with milk.  Beat to spreading consistency, adding more milk if needed.  Blend in vanilla.

These are super easy and it is SO worth it.  I usually make box cake then make my own icing and it really adds a nice touch over canned icing!  Hope everyone has a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers